If you have put your home on the market, you won't be living in it while it's up for sale and you have pretty nice furniture, then you may want to stage it with your own belongings. One of the ways this can help you out is it can make it so you don't have to pay for as large of a storage unit if you are storing your things. It also allows you to save time and effort by simply keeping some of your items in the house for now, instead of moving them. Here are some things to consider when staging the house:
- Remove anything that makes the house feel already claimed
- You want them to be able to see themselves living in it, not have them feeling like a visitor. Think of the way a timeshare or a nice hotel and how they are decorated. You feel comfortable in them and they are done in a way that allows you to claim that space as your own right away. This is the same feeling you want to give buyers.
- Stick to just the basics
- You want the house to look as spacious and open as possible, while not making it feel cold and empty. You can accomplish this by sticking to basic furniture and décor. For example, the living room can include a sofa, a chair, a coffee table, an end table, a couple lamps and a few pieces of décor. Don't go overboard with a TV, a bookshelf, etc. In the kitchen, you can have a big decorative bowl of fake fruit on the counter and a few other items that don't make it look so bare.
- Use throw rugs to help with echo sounds in houses with hard flooring
- If you go through the house after staging and notice that it has an echo sound when you talk it is due to the lack of items and extra space it creates. A simple and nice way to help get rid of that echo sound (which can give the place a cold vibe) is to lay out some nice area rugs throughout the house on the hard flooring. The area rugs will help to absorb a lot of the sound.
- Try to stick with plain patterns
- You should stay away from bold and busy patterns when it comes to things like your furniture and curtains. Sticking with more neutral and bland choices makes it easier for some people to imagine the home already as their own.